Monday, June 7, 2010

Resurrecting the Garden....Sort Of.


This week I've been trying to resurrect the garden. I installed a fence around the raised beds and replanted the radishes (they seem to be doing well so far!). Seth and I hit up the Farmer's Market on Saturday and bought some plants for the garden. Since all of my tomato starters died, we picked up 4 tomato plants. We also bought some jalapenos (again, to replace my starters that bit the dust) and a zucchini plant. Next year, I'll just save myself the trouble and buy plants instead of starting seeds inside! Our green beans are looking okay, but there are definitely some bugs nibbling at them. Our raspberry bush has had a few ripe fruits already, and it looks like we'll have more than we could ever eat! Raspberry jelly/jam, anyone?  Our apple tree also has tons of fruit.


In knitting news, I finished my Alexandria Cardigan as part of the KAL at Purl Diva. I don't have any pictures of it on me, but here are a few detail shots:

                                             

I love the faux seam at the side. The look of a side seam, but without actually having to sew anything together! 

                                            

I really like the use of bust darts for shaping (you'll be able to see the effect of those better in a modeled shot). 

                           
Pattern: Alexandria Cardigan by Connie Chang Chinchio
Yarn: Fleece Artist Woolie Silk in colorway Salt Spray
(bought from the lovely Purl Diva)
Modifications: I made the body a wee bit longer than the pattern called for (maybe just 1/2 inch or so), and the sleeves are probably a bit shorter than called for (I just tried them on as I knit them). 

I've also started another Tea Leaves Cardigan, but this one will be for my Mom. She has soooooo much yarn and so little time to knit. So, I told her to pick out yarn from her stash and a sweater pattern for me to make for her (this is a very belated mother's day gift!). 

Switching gears to food...

                             

We had some neighbors over for dinner and Seth requested a dessert with fresh strawberries from the Farmer's Market. Chocolate cake, homemade whipped cream (can we just discuss how much I heart my Kitchen Aid!?), and fresh strawberries. We do have strawberries in our yard under the grape vines, but the rabbits really like those. I find them half eaten in various places around the yard. Ah well, at least the garden is protected now.

And one last parting shot (because he's just so darn cute):


                  

Miss you! I hope camp is going smoothly....

Love,
liz 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your Alexandria Cardi! The color you chose is gorgeous as always. I can't wait to cast on for mine. I still have one more project to finish before I can start it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Julie! The Alexandria Cardigan is a really, really addictive pattern! Or maybe it was the yarn...probably both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz! I found your blog :) Again, your Alexandria is very well knit and I love the color of Woolie Silk you chose for it. I may just have to make another Alexandria with the Salt Spray.

    And you're making the Tea Leaves for your mom? She's so lucky! That's a great pattern and on my list to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Connie! The Tea Leaves for my mom will actually be my 2nd Tea Leaves...it's a great pattern and knits up really quickly (great mindless, TV watching knitting)

    ReplyDelete