Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Charlotte!

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Charlotte, Happy Birthday to you!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday and that moving/road trip with F is going well!

I feel like my posts have been a little devoid of fibery things lately, so I'm going to rectify that today!

First up....large pile of wool:


One of the nurses at the Peds clinic Seth works at has a daughter who is in 4-H. She raised a sheep this summer for the fair, and apparently when they shear them before the fair they THROW AWAY THE WOOL! Can you believe that?!?!?! I told them that if they kept the wool I would process it, spin it, and knit up a hat or mittens for her so she'd have a little souvenir from her sheep.

Seth brought it home this weekend and we worked on picking out all the hay on a small portion of it. It was really, really dirty. And Sailor loved it.



We only cleaned out about 1/3 of it, because I'm not sure how great it will be for spinning. The fibers are really short, and despite washing it 3 times, it still seems kind of dirty.

I did some more dyeing today! I really want to make these for a friend's baby and couldn't find any solid yellow sock yarn anywhere....soooo, I dyed my own!


I also had some grey shetland/angora handspun yarn that I wanted to dye a different color. There was a little bit of yellow left in the pot after I dyed the sock yarn and I added a purple mixture to it and got this:


I had a mini skein of the same yarn, but decided to leave it undyed:


I also have an almost finished knitting project to show you! I bought the fabulous "New England Knits" book from Purl Diva when I was in Maine a few weeks ago. She was kind enough to hang on to it and have the authors (Cecily Glowick McDonald and Melissa LaBarre) sign it while they were doing a book signing at her shop. When it arrived in my mailbox, I immediately wound up some yarn and cast on for the Brattleboro Hat. It only took me 2 nights to do and I LOVE it! However, I ordered some buttons online and it looks a little silly without them, so a detail shot is all you get for now:


I've already decided what my next project will be from the "New England Knits" book, the Salem Hooded Jacket. And of course, I've already picked out yarn (while at Purl Diva) and ribbon (also from Purl Diva):


I've also started a quilt. Yikes. Seth and I stopped at Fabric Depot and I bought some fabric rolls to make this quilt. There are 80 squares total in the quilt. I think I have 14 done....it's going to be a long term project :)



I also started a new sweater for Seth's dad and had to rip out an entire sleeve on my Mom's Tea Leaves. Ugh.

Well, it's homemade pizza night....so that's it for now!

Safe travels :)

Love,
liz

1 comment:

  1. I love Oh Fransson and I love that quilt pattern! Can't wait to see yours when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete