Friday, August 27, 2010

Paddle, Paddle, Paddle

Yesterday we went paddling with our neighbors on the Salmon River and almost (but not quite) into the Pacific Ocean. It's their favorite place to paddle, and I can see why!


Photo credits go to Seth, by the way. As soon as we put the boats in, a cute seal popped his head up and was swimming around! Unfortunately he was too quick and we weren't able to get a picture of him.

We paddled about 1/2 mile down the river (although, since the tide was coming in it was like paddling up river!), pulled our boats up on the sand, and saw this:


Gorgeous, huh?

We walked up and down the beach for a while collecting cool rocks and even found some sea glass and a starfish:




Seth found lots of sand dollars. Don't worry. We brought them all home. :)

We had lunch on the beach and then paddled back up the river, which involved a lot more sitting than paddling since the tide was still coming in!

Don't I look like a pro?


Here's our neighbors in their tandem kayak doing a little bird watching:


We ended up having perfect weather. The weather at the coast can be unpredictable, at best. Most of the time it's cloudy/foggy and cold. We ended up with 60 degree weather and sun! The water, however, was freezing. Colder than the Atlantic in Maine, by quite a bit. BRRR! I was a little surprised to see a bunch of little kids swimming in the ocean! It was too cold to do anything but dip your toes in.

No knitting to share today....but I did make a pretty fantastic dinner with cherry tomatoes from our garden. I meant to take a picture...but it didn't last long on the plate! It was just roasted cherry tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, and basil tossed with pasta. Oh, and some parmesan cheese. Yum. It was delish. I'm also trying my hand at dehydrating apples. We have an apple tree in our back yard, and have more apples than I know what to do with. I'll definitely be making some applesauce, but I need to get some new cans first.

I'll leave you with one last parting shot of gorgeous Oregon:


Love,
liz

1 comment:

  1. What a fun adventure! Colder than the Maine Atlantic? I didn't know that was possible! Brr indeed.

    ReplyDelete