Sunday, August 8, 2010

Road Trip with the Parents

My plan was to blog while my parents were here....however, we were so busy I didn't really have time. I picked my parents up from Portland last Saturday (they flew in Friday night and spent the night) and while Seth ran 30 miles on the Portland trails we toured around. We started out at the Portland Farmers Market, then headed to Powell's, Knit Purl, and VooDoo Donuts. Though, after realizing that it was a 45-60 minute wait to get into VooDoo Donuts, we decided to get out of line. After Seth was done running, we met him at the Japanese Gardens, which were really beautiful.

There were all these cool little "houses", waterfalls, ponds and a sand and stone garden:



Sunday we took a drive up Mary's Peak and took the 1 1/2 mile (round-trip) Summit Trail. Sailor came along and posed for a photo with my parents:


On Monday we headed to Crater Lake National Park, which was breathtakingly beautiful.


The lake is 31 miles around the outside, and there is a road that runs all the way around the rim. We drove around the entire lake and stopped lots to take pictures and take in the views.




We stayed in Medford, OR Monday night and on Tuesday headed south to California.


We took a drive through the Avenue of the Giants and explored the Redwood Forest.

(how tiny do my parents look?!)

My Dad was a lumberjack in his former life and is able to pick up Redwoods while people stand on them:


The Redwood Forest was beautiful and the trees are gigantic. Gigantic enough to drive through:


Tuesday night we stayed in Crescent City, CA and then headed up the Oregon coast on Wednesday. It's amazing how foggy and cold it is out there all summer!


The Oregon coast isn't like any other coast line. There are huge rocks sticking straight out of the ocean as well as huge sand dunes.

Here's my dad climbing a huge rock:


And here he is a little farther up:


It did clear up a little while we were driving, but it was only about 55 degrees out!


A little bit north of Florence, OR there is a tourist trap called the "Sea Lion Caves". Obviously we had to stop. An elevator takes you 200 feet down into a cave and you can look out and see the Sea Lions hanging out on the rocks.


There is also another gorgeous lookout onto the coastline.


We were pretty exhausted from 3 full days of driving, so Thursday I took my parents around Corvallis and Friday Mom and I went yarn shopping while Dad went golfing. Seth and I dropped them at the airport yesterday morning and then we stopped at the Fabric Depot, which was slightly overwhelming. I didn't end up buying any fabric for knitting bags, but did end up with some fabric for a quilt. We also stopped at the Farmer's Market for lunch and there was a Iranian Festival happening, so we ended up eating Mediterranean food....yumm!!!

I do have some fibery things to share, but I think I'll wait to post those!

Hope your last few weeks of camp are going well!

Love,
liz

No comments:

Post a Comment