Thursday, July 29, 2010

Just call me the bag lady!

I've spent the last 3 days at the sewing machine making bags for my Mom to bring back to NY with her. The shop she helps out at is going to be at a fiber festival in September (and the owner said she would sell my bags and handspun yarn!) and a few people at the shop have expressed interest in buying the box bags I've been making. A few even placed "special orders"!

So here they are, in all their glory:


The lone bag to the right is actually fairly large. I had a couple of really long zippers and decided to see what would happen if I used the entire fat quarter (well, 1 for the outside and 1 for the lining). It would make a great shoe bag for traveling and would hold 4 or 5 (possibly more, I haven't actually tried it yet) skeins of yarn.

I learned quite a bit during all of this sewing, and have a pretty good system down for making multiples of the same thing. For example, I learned that I despise using the zipper foot for sewing on zippers. I am physically unable to sew in a straight line while using the zipper foot. I also realized after making 10 bags, that I could just use the regular presser foot and it made top stitching the zipper about a million times easier. I'm sure there is some cardinal rule of sewing forbidding the use of a regular presser foot while sewing on zippers, but I'm going to ignore that rule for now.

I have a huge amount of respect for people who have time to sew things for their home and kids or for an etsy shop and do all of this while raising kids, cooking, and cleaning. I didn't do a shred of housework for 3 days, though I did manage to cook dinner each night and scrounge up lunch each day. It's tiring being this crafty!

Here's a few more pictures of the finished bags:




The drawstring bags need some tweaking, I think. I lined them because I like the sturdiness it gives them, but all the fabric at the top it makes it harder to cinch it closed. I'm thinking a new design of some sort is in order.

I haven't done a single stitch of knitting since we got home Sunday night. But, now that the bags are done I can refocus on knitting. I really want to finish up my Mom's Tea Leaves cardigan and get started on the sweater for Seth's Dad. And, holiday knitting really needs to be started. Yikes.

My parents arrive tomorrow, but I'll try and update while they are here!

Love,
liz

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those bags are beautiful! I'm very impressed with the zippered bags. I would love to do more sewing but I'm afraid I can only really do it every other Monday night at a local "Quilting Group". I can't seem to figure out how to keep tiny hands away from sewing stuff so I rarely break out my sewing machine at home. It's very time consuming for me to get everything out/set up. (Knitting is great because you can bust it out and shove it in a bag all quite quickly!) I'm amazed by how others seem to manage it! I barely manage to get dinner on the table as it is!

    Sigh... maybe someday! I think one of the great things about your bags is that you have such great taste in colors/fabric! The little bird one is adorable! I really enjoy seeing all your projects!

    ReplyDelete