Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hand Dyeing!

I successfully (well, it appears successful so far) dyed some Polwarth roving this weekend! I initially planned to take lots of photos during the process, but the rubber gloves and fear of getting dye on my camera sure didn't help the taking of photos. 

My rubber gloves were pretty sexy:

Here's my fiber in it's vinegar bath before dyeing:


And, here are my base dyes (although I only used the blue...):


I used three shades of blue to dye the roving and then wrapped it in a plastic bag and steamed it. 
This is what it looked like when it was finished:



I haven't spun it up yet, but I'll be sure to share when I do! 

I knit up a cute hat from the Polwarth yarn from the last post, but I don't have any pictures yet. It was dark by the time I finished it today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get a shot. 

In other news, something is chowing down on my garden again. UGH.

Notice how lovely my zucchini plant looks as well as the cauliflower plant to the left:


The cauliflower now has 1/2 of a leaf left. That's it. And the pest that keeps eating the garden also ate one of the huge zucchini leaves and left a wee bit of stem. There are no noticeable holes in the fence. I'm baffled. And frustrated. 

I think that's all the new stuff I have to show off, but I should have more soon!

Love,
liz

No comments:

Post a Comment