Saturday, July 10, 2010

Spinning, Spinning, Spinning

Spinning. That's basically all I've been doing since my last post. Why, you ask? Because it has been too gawd-awful hot to do anything but sit inside my house (which resembles a cave during the day) and spin. I've been knitting a few rows here and there, but it's hard to do when the yarn is sticking to your fingers. 

I know, I know. I shouldn't complain about the 4 days of 95+ degree temperatures we've been having. Especially since you deal with it all summer! But after a rainy, cold spring, it was a bit of a shock to my system! 

Well, enough complaining about the heat. Onto the spinning progress!

This is a Merino/Silk/Angora blend that took me a few days to spin up:


The July Wool-a-long breed is Polwarth. I ordered some "Perchance to Knit" roving from The Loopy Ewe and it arrived on Thursday. It was so lovely that as soon as I ripped open the package, I took it over to the spinning wheel and started spinning!

It started off as this:


And it turned into this:


Which eventually turned into this:


I ended up with about 200 yards of worsted weight yarn. I'm thinking of using it for a hat or a pair or mitts. Or possibly ankle socks. 

I've been watching the TV show Bones on Netflix on the Wii while doing all of this spinning, and I thought of you today while I was watching! There was a Patty Griffin  song on during one of the episodes...."Rain", I think. I'm really enjoying Bones....fits right in with my obsession with crime shows. 

I spent a bunch of time today going to the local thrift store, Goodwill, and a few other places collecting the things I need to try hand dyeing fiber and yarn! Since it will be horribly hot again tomorrow, I'm going to try solar dyeing outside instead of boiling things in my kitchen. I'll report back and let you know how it goes!

Well, I'm going to try and get a bit of knitting done before bed! 

Love,
liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment