Friday, October 22, 2010

FO Friday!

I have THREE, yup THREE finished knits to show off! Two of them have been done before we went to Rhinebeck, but I was lacking photos of them until now!

First up, Castle Pullover:

Pattern: Castle Pullover by Cecily Gowik MacDonald 
Yarn: MadelineTosh Rustication Worsted (100% Cormo Wool) in Fig
Modifications: I wasn't able to get the gauge that the pattern called for, so I followed the directions for the smallest size in order to get the 34" size. The shaping in the body is achieved by changing needle sizes after the waist. I knit for longer than the pattern called for to fit where my waist actually was. I also shortened the sweater from the pattern specifications because I knew the lace portion would grow when I blocked it. 

close up shot of the lace work

The Tosh Rustication is a more rustic wool that is bought from the Elsa Wool Company, and then dyed by the lovely folks at MadelineTosh. It was a little stiff before blocking because it was knit at a fairly tight gauge, but after blocking it softened up beautifully. I had considered adding 3/4 length sleeves, but after wearing it a few times (including to Rhinebeck over a long sleeved shirt, but under a warm jacket!) I think I'll keep the short sleeves. 

Second up, arm warmers:

Pattern: Albina Armwarmers by Verabee 
Yarn: Handspun Superwash Merino
Buttons: Natural wood buttons from ButtonBoy
Modifications: The pattern is written to be used with handspun yarn (or any weight of yarn for that matter). It is more of a formula with fill-in-the blanks. I figured out my gauge, plugged in my numbers and knit away! 




Our friend Polka Dot came back to visit again yesterday! 

I will definitely be making more of these, possibly as gifts. They knit up very quickly (I was able to knit one up in a night), and can be worn a bunch of different ways. Not to mention that you can make them out of any weight yarn you want!

And last, but not least...The Elephant Sweater:

Pattern: Elephant Pullover by Roo Designs 
Yarn: Berroco Vintage in Fennel, Limone, and Chocolate
Modifications: I used a larger than called for needle size and followed the directions for the 6 month size in order to get closer to a 9-12 month size. 


I had a total "knitting fail" moment on this sweater. It looked like I was going run out of the main color yarn and bought an extra skein that was not the same dye lot. Instead of using up the scraps of the old skein, I broke into the new skein and knit the second sleeve with it. As I was in my parent's basement weaving in all the ends, Kaitlin came down and asked me why one sleeve was a different color. Oops. I waited until I got home because I was sure I had a second matching skein of the main color. After digging through baskets of yarn and coming up empty, I decided to rip out the sleeve and knit as far as I could with the 3 mini balls I had left over from the initial skein. I had just enough to do the second sleeve and sew up the sweater! Go figure. But now it's done, and adorable, and I hope that Eric and Becky love it! I will demand that they take pictures of baby L in it :) 

Well, there you have it. All 3 newly finished FOs! I feel so productive! 

I'm dying to spin up some of my Rhinebeck goodies, so I think I'll start something on the wheel later today. :) 

Love,
liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment