Saturday, November 13, 2010

A wee bit of spinning (and a lot of Christmas knitting...)

I've been getting back into the groove of spinning now that fall is in full swing. I purchased a couple of Moonrover batts from a lovely lady on Ravelry who was destashing them.  You can see them here. I've only spun up half of the mini batts so far, but the resulting yarn is glorious. I spilt the bats by color so that the yarn will be self-striping.

Yarn on the Niddy Noddy. Some of the colors are kind of tweedy, due to the chunks of silk in the batts. 

145 yards of DK weight yarn 

Isn't it fabulous??  

I think it will probably end up in the etsy shop, but it's totally tempting to keep it and knit it up!

I need to decide whether I should spin up the second half of the fiber and sell the 2 skeins as a set or sell them separately. 

Of course, I've been doing loads of Christmas knitting. I have 4 gifts completely done and am working on number 5! Here's a teaser shot:

In black and white as to not give anything away! 

I actually spent a night up in Portland this week with my friend Valerie. Her daughter turned 18 on Wednesday, and was going to a concert with 4 of her friends and then spending the night. We went to make sure the girls stayed out of trouble (mostly just to make sure the concert venue was in a safe part of town). After we dropped the girls off at the concert we took a drive to Happy Knits, so I could show Valerie the ways of snobby yarn. She's just getting back into knitting, and after she finishes the project she's working on she wants to start using nicer yarn (she's knitting with some neon acrylic right now). We had a great dinner at the Bagdad Theater and Pub...I had the Curry Rice Bowl, it was amazing. Thai Curry is always a bit of a risk at a non-Thai place, but it was amazing. And spicy! We spent the rest of the night in the hotel room knitting while waiting for the girls to get back. In the morning we had some birthday cake up on the 6th floor of the hotel, which had a fabulous view of the convention center.

Fun, eh? 

The Portland Hills....Isn't Portland gorgeous?!

Portland is such an awesome city. It's easy to get around by car (or they have fabulous public transportation...and some of it is free), and there are all sorts of fun, eclectic shops. And tons of greenery everywhere. 

Your sweater looks like it's coming along really nicely! Philo appears to approve of knitting time...what a cutie. 

Well, I must try and get some knitting done before it's time to make dinner (Dino BBQ's Potato and Corn Chowder)!

Love,
liz :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, missing Portland so much that it almost a physical thing!

    HerbieDog

    ReplyDelete