Monday, November 1, 2010

Sample Knitting and Baby Hats...

Since last week was mostly spent making Seth's Halloween costume, I don't have anything too impressive to share. But I do have a few small things...

The shop my Mom helps out at, Knit Wit Kreations, just got a new yarn line in and I offered to whip up a sample that they could hang with the yarn. The yarn is KFI Sweetness, a cotton, merino, nylon blend (50/40/10) that is great for kids knits since it is both machine washable and strong (due to the nylon content). The yarn doesn't have a lot of "give" to it, but it was nice to work with and created a soft but durable fabric.

Pattern: Baby Bolero from KFI Sweetness booklet (no ravelry link)
Yarn: KFI Sweetness (dk weight, 136 yards/ball) - 2 skeins
Modifications: None. However, if I were to knit another bolero, I'd probably pick a seamless pattern. There was quite a lot of seaming, which could be easily avoided by doing raglan sleeves instead of set-in sleeves. The pattern was fairly straight-forward, though and it was an easy knit. 

Apparently, it's been a week of baby knits. A friend from college is due for her baby this week, and she adores knit and crocheted baby hats. I whipped up a newborn size hat (which looks ridiculously small) and two 3-6 month sized hats. 

Pattern(s): Pink hat- Simple Baby Hat by Debbie Bliss (from "Baby Knits for Beginners"), Purple hats- Quick and Easy Baby Hat by Emma Waller (in 2 different sizes)
Yarn: Pink hat- Three Irish Girls Springvale Super Merino is Elsbeth, Purple hats- MadelineTosh DK in Nostalgia 
Modifications: None. I still need to add ribbon in the eyelet holes on the purple hats, but that requires a trip to Jo-Ann's. I'll hopefully add those today and be able to send them out this afternoon or tomorrow.

I also finished a Liesel scarf for Judy, the woman who watched Sailor while we were gone. But the weather was so dark and dreary that I wasn't able to get a good picture of it before Seth brought it to her. 

OH! I also have a brand new sewing machine, a Christmas gift from my Mom (that arrived in a box with SINGER written all over it!)! I'll have to do a post about it once I try it out and figure out all the cool things it can do! 

Love,
liz :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you've been busy! Congrats on the sewing machine, that is an amazing gift. Love the itty bitty hats, aren't the newborn ones crazy small? Hey, we're hosting a knit baby hat contest ($100 gift certificate) if you want to join in the fun: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/baby-hat-knitting-patterns.html

    ReplyDelete