Sunday, December 5, 2010

Finally, some Christmas knitting I can share!

I decided I couldn't wait and gave my mom part of her Christmas gift when she got here on Thursday. I've had this done for what seems like ages, and it's been really hard to keep quiet about it! We went to the Oregon Garden (more pics of that to come in another post) and decided it would be a great place to take some FO pictures.

Pattern: Luciole by Anne Hanson 
Yarn: String Theory Caper Sock (merino/cashmere/nylon) purchased from the lovely Purl Diva
Modifications: None. I made the Petite size. I did have a moment of panic while knitting the edging because I realized the pattern called for 425 yards of yarn and I had 400 yards. Oops. Thankfully, I was knitting at a looser gauge and there was probably some extra yardage in the skein! I ended up with ONE YARD of yarn left over after the bind off. Phew. 

Knitting with the Caper Sock was a true pleasure. I think I finished the shawl in about a week and a half because I couldn't put it down! So soft! 

I was totally tempted to keep it for myself once it was done! I think another Luciole is in my future.  


I actually have a couple of more finished projects to show off!

My mom sent me some yarn for my birthday, and included in that package was a skein of Tosh Merino in Mansfield Garden Party. I couldn't wait to use it for something and was searching for the perfect project to show it off. On Thursday we stopped at Twisted and Vivian was working and wearing an adorable hat. I asked her about it and she happened to have designed it. The pattern was purchased, and 2 days later I had a hat.

Pattern: The Big Easy by Vivian Aubrey
Yarn: MadelineTosh Merino in Mansfield Garden Party 
Modifications: The pattern calls for size 7 and 9 needles. I couldn't locate my size 9 bamboo needles in 3 minutes of looking, so I knit the top portion on size 8s instead. The pattern is so super duper easy, and knits up ridiculously fast. I think I finished the whole thing in less than 4 hours. Probably more like 3 hours. It's fantastically warm and fits perfectly!


Over Thanksgiving weekend I had the opportunity to do a test knit for Ellen of Purl Diva. She designed a pair of super fast, super cushy fingerless mitts. These, too, were knit in less than 4 hours! Gotta love quick knits that you can wear almost immediately!

Pattern: Fast and Fearless Fingerless Mitts by Ellen Rodgers
Yarn: Malabrigo Chunky 
Modifications: Instead of size 10 needles, I used size 9 needles for a slightly smaller, denser mitt. The ribbing is super stretchy, though, and they also fit Seth! I've worn them a whole bunch already, and I'll definitely be making more of these. 


And. One more thing to share. I did my first custom spinning job last week! A lovely raveler sent me some fiber she wanted spun up. It was 8 ounces of BFL and she wanted it to be a 2-ply yarn and sportweight-dk. I'm so excited about how it came out! Unfortunately I only have a couple of pics that aren't the greatest....but they'll do:

The 2 larger skeins are 375 yards each (don't ask how I managed to have them be exactly the same amount! Pure dumb luck!) and the mini skein is about 55 yards.  


I've also acquired a whole bunch of fiber recently. Not quite sure how that happened ;) I'll wait and share those in the next post, though, since I haven't photographed all of them yet.

Looks like you and baby C had a good time! And it looks like Philo was just a wee bit jealous...what a goof. She's gotten so big, and so grown up looking :)

Love,
liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment