Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oregon Gardens in Winter

I had a lovely visit with Mama Limmer this weekend! She arrived on Thursday and after a wee bit of yarn shopping we headed back to Corvallis to rest up for all the weekend festivities. On Friday night we attended a city function called Winter's Eve. The money raised goes to the Corvallis Assistance League  which provides services to kids in need (dental services, teddy bears for kids in crisis situations, clothes for kids in need, etc). The city blocks off one of the roads and has a huge heated tent with food, wine, and silent auction items. Tickets also included a coupon book for downtown businesses, most of which stayed open during the event. I ended up with a new pair of Dansko's that I've been contemplating for a while now. 20% off helped that decision! I've also come to realize how stretched out my black Danskos are...I think I'll have to replace those after this winter. 

Anyways...on Saturday the weather was gorgeous (chilly, but sunny!) and my Mom, Seth, and I headed to The Oregon Garden. Even though there weren't many things in bloom, it was nice to just be outside enjoying the nice weather and beautiful views. 

The clouds were absolutely gorgeous the whole time we were there. 

Who says that it rains every day in Oregon during the winter? Not true.  

We'll have to make sure we visit in the spring and fall next year. These planters on the water are just gorgeous with the cloud and tree reflections. 

Fun, gnarly tree. 

The Pac NW is really dog friendly. Dogs are welcome at The Oregon Garden and there is even a "Pet Garden". Sailor posing in the Pet Garden.  

Sailor checking himself out.  

Sailor striking a pose. 

The boys.

Friday night my mom and I whipped up a double batch of chocolate mint cookies (the kind with andes candies on top) to freeze for a cookie swap at Seth's office and for Christmas cookie platters. We made 2 more kinds of cookies on Sunday (raspberry jelly thumbprint cookies and shortbread chocolate chips) and my Mom did some Christmas wrapping. 

On Monday we headed up to Portland and met a couple of ladies from one of the groups my Mom is in on Ravelry (Pug Lovers) for lunch. We went to Twisted again and hit up Dublin Bay, REI, Powell's, and Knit Purl. I bought some lovely yarn at Dublin Bay as well as a skein at Knit Purl along with some adorable Christmas ornament kits! After our yarn shopping extravaganza we checked into the Crowne Plaza (gotta love free nights from Priority Club!) and hopped a shuttle to the Lloyd Center to make some returns at the Loft

Yesterday I dropped my Mom at the airport and stopped at the outlets in Woodburn to do a little Christmas shopping. I, of course, found a fabulous rain coat at the Merrell Outlet. Since we moved last year I've been searching for a cute, long raincoat with a hood. All the cute longer coats I've seen haven't had a hood, and well, it rains here and I don't like to carry an umbrella. Then I found this yesterday:


But in forest green with orange rivets. Completely waterproof and cute. 

And, because no post would be complete without some shots of yarn or fiber....here's a few pictures of some roving I've recently acquired from my new favorite fiber source, Two if By Hand.

Enchanted on Merino/Cashmere/Nylon 

Miss Granger on Shetland 

Nymphadora on Finn

I love that they do Harry Potter themed colors. I'm such a dork. :) 

Okay....I must go work on finishing up my Christmas knitting!

Love,
liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment