Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lean, Mean, Rototilling Machine

The weather was gorgeous here today, so Seth and I decided we'd better take advantage of the sunshine and rototill the garden. Sailor was pretty antsy this morning and chewed the strap on a pair of my shoes, so we took him for a nice walk in the woods to wear him out a bit. Seth wanted to find some "hidden" trailhead, so we drove around for quite a while and ended up in a neighborhood on this huge hill where there were at least a half dozen deer just hanging out in people's yards! And one of them was a baby deer...so cute! We were unsuccessful in finding this "hidden" trailhead so ended up at one of Seth's regular running spots. On the way back to the house we stopped at the garden store and ended up with 4 huge bags of fertilizer, a hummingbird feeder, suet for the birds, organic fertilizer to sprinkle, potting soil for the blueberry bush (who grows a blueberry bush in a pot? We do!), and a few garden tools. Cha-Ching. 




Then we came home, ate lunch, and I headed out to the garden to pull weeds. While weeding, I figured out what the heck Sailor keeps obsessing over in the garden area every night (he jumped the fence into the garden the other night). It's gotta be either squirrels or chipmunks. There were empty nut shells all throughout the garden beds. And I'm positive they weren't there last time I weeded. I can only assume that they are also living under the deck, or at least hang out there from time to time. 


While I was weeding, Seth went and rented a rototiller. 



Notice how it looks as though I'm being pulled by the rototiller. Well, that my friend, is because I was. It literally just pulled me up and down the garden. Sailor wasn't sure what to think of the rototiller. He kept running in and out of the garden like a crazy dog.

Now, notice how Seth is actually able to handle the rototiller:


When all was said and done, the garden beds looked mighty fine:



I was too tired after weeding and being dragged behind the rototiller to actually plant anything. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow though, so hopefully it will get done tomorrow.


Our raspberry bush is growing like crazy and I'm pretty sure it's going take over the whole yard by summer's end.




And I found these pretty flowers hiding among the mutant raspberry bush:




Nothing new to share on the knitting front. Still working on the sock monkey, and I haven't started the newest KAL yet because I've been having some swatching issues.


I was making some good progress on your needle case until the sewing machine and I had a little argument the other day. We're taking a break from one another until tomorrow. :) 


Seth is running his 50K race here in Corvallis on Saturday, so we've been carb-loading. Perogies and potatoes tonight (yes, potatoes in addition to the potato filled pasta) and a heaping plate of spaghetti tomorrow (with garlic bread, of course). Sunday we're meeting Keith and Kristine (from HH!) up in Portland for lunch!! I'm so excited to see them, it's been way too long.


I'm glad your driveway is all fixed and you aren't stranded in your house anymore! Although it looks like you got quite a bit of knitting accomplished! I love that scarf you made from the leftover malabrigo. 


I suppose I should head to bed and rest up for a day full of planting tomorrow! 


Love,
liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment