Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sock Monkey Complete!




This took way longer than it should have! But it is finally done, just in time for the baby to be born in a couple of weeks. I bought the kit at Twisted (a LYS in Portland) and it had 2 half skeins of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Heavyweight and the patterns for a large and small monkey. Seth thinks the monkey is creepy. I think she's kinda cute. I know the recipient will appreciate her (more specifically, the recipient's mother). Aimee and I lived with Kristen our sophomore year in college and she is due in a couple of weeks for her baby girl. Aimee made her a baby sweater and blanket, so I wanted something different to knit. I wish the body was a little bit longer, but I actually would have run out of green yarn if I had made any modifications.

I think I mentioned in my last post that I went to an Alpaca Farm near Seth's mom's house. There was a gift certificate promotion online where she was able to buy $50 worth of gift certificates for $12! We picked out some yarn to make slipper socks for her and then I picked out a couple other skeins of yarn. Then I asked about Alpaca spinning fiber. Well, she was mostly out of roving but had a whole barn full of alpaca fleeces (I'll have to turn it into roving) fresh off the alpacas. I was going to buy a pound and had picked out one that I liked. There was a second one I was looking at and the woman offered to just give it to me. I ended up with over 3 pounds of alpaca fleece for the price of a pound!


Sailor thought it smelled pretty awesome.


And then he decided to eat it. That's his nose at the top of the picture! He actually didn't consume it, just took a chunk out and threw it on the ground.



It's wonderfully soft. And it smells. It needs to be washed before I can turn it into roving. Some lovely ladies on Ravelry suggested mixing it with some sort of wool because alpaca doesn't hold it's shape very well. I'm going to get it all washed and then pick up some wool at the fiber festival near me in June.

Here's the alpaca yarn I picked up:


That's it for now! I'll post pictures tomorrow of all the lovely flowers in my yard and the things that decided to actually grow in my garden.

Love,
liz

No comments:

Post a Comment