Monday, March 29, 2010

the weekend

Well, this was a seriously eventful weekend here in Kentucky and Tennessee... First, I successfully survived leaving the dog in a kennel for a night.  Pathetic, but true.  Second, I made it to Knoxville on Saturday in time for the running expo, which was pretty decent, picked up a few things, and went for a drive to check out the course....


at which point we got in a fender bender in Jess' car.  It was terrifying!!  We were stopped at a stop light and got hit on the passenger side read by a creepy old chevy van (totally a child kidnapper van, you know?!) whose breaks went out going down a hill.  The impact shattered the rear window and made a pretty big mess of the car.  We were fine, just shaken up.

After that delay (police report took quite a chunk of time), we went to a great healthfood store, called Earthfare.  It was beautiful.  Made me miss Vermont and want to buy excessive amounts of food in bulk :)  I bought some agave syrup.  Have you heard about this?  It's a natural sweetener, less thick than honey and has less calories than  regular sugar.  I've used it in tea so far, and it's nice, I'm a fan!

Then we went out to "carboload" at an italian restaurant, that was really lovely.  I had chicken picatta with portobello mushrooms and some linguini.  It was amazing.  I ate way too much!!  Then we went home to chill before bed.

The race was really fun.  I had never done a relay before, so it was pretty fun.  The weather held out till our third runner, so the first runner and I stayed dry!  My section was through some beautiful neighborhoods and on the "greenway" through the center of Knoxville.  The weather was a humid 55 degrees, so I ran in a t shirt, which was nice.  For not running over the past few weeks, I think I did pretty well- about a 12 minute mile I think, so that wasn't too bad, and the course was pretty hilly! :)

The first runner and I had a good two hours to hang out before the thing was over, so we sat in Starbucks with a coffee and chatted.  She was really nice- hopefully we'll run together again soon.  She's a librarian at a small methodist college and a big animal person- horses, dog and cats.  We had lots to chat about :)

Okay, this week is going to be crazy with interviews, so I have to get cracking on work.  Hope you survived your weekend, cant wait to hear about S' misadventures with his dad.  Hopefully they survived!

Much love,
cb

No comments:

Post a Comment